All About Kankakee Junior High
Principal: Stephanie Morgan Harris
Assistant Principal: Joseph Davies
Assistant Principal: Stacy Glenn
Grade Level: 7th - 8th
2250 East Crestwood Street
Kankakee, IL 60901
(815) 935-7272 fax
School Hours: 7:40 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.DEMOGRAPHICS/PROGRAMS
- Kankakee Junior High School has approximately 700 students. The ethnic makeup of our student population is 53% Black, 17% white, 25% Hispanic and 3% Multi-Racial, 1% Asian and .3% American Indian. We provide core adacemic classes based on each students' individual needs. We also provide core academic interventions in mathematics with our 60/30 program and in reading with our Read 180 and System 44 Scholastic programs. KJHS is proud to be and AVID school which provides support for students in honors level courses who may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience this type of rigorous academic challenges.
- The average KJHS student schedule includes a double period in mathematics and a double period of language arts; and one period each of physical education, science, social studies and an elective. Elective courses at KJHS include: art, band computer technology, drama, family and consumer sciences, orchestra, piano, 7th grade Spanish survey course, and high school Spanish.
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PLAN
- We are continuing to work on our School Improvement Plan which includes three primary goals:
- Improving student achievement in Mathematics
- Improving student achievement in Reading
- Improving student behavior
- We are in our fifth year of using the Merit Point System. Each student can earn ten points per week based on the number of discipline referrals each student receives. If a student receives no referrals in a given week, that student earns ten points. Students lose part or all of his/her points based on the number of referrals and severity of the infraction. Students must maintain 80% of their Merit Points to participate in extra curricular activities, field trips, and other special school events.