PreK-3 Social Emotional Learning
Group Theraplay® is a social-emotional instructional strategy and intervention that enhances relationships, self-esteem, trust in others, and joyful engagement. Theraplay complements the classroom’s regular social-emotional curriculum. A Theraplay Group is an adult-directed, structured play group that incorporates playful, cooperative and nurturing activities that enhance the emotional well-being of students and supports the development of healthy peer relationships. Unlike other approaches to social-emotional learning, Theraplay learning takes place on a non-verbal level. Instead of talking about positive social behavior, the group leaders and students DO positive social interaction. Gradually, positive messages from the groups become a part of the student’s internal sense of himself.
- Create an atmosphere that is warm, nurturing, engaging, challenging and FUN!
- Promote warm relationships between students and adults and friendships among peers
- Engage hard-to-reach students
- Place emphasis on cooperation between students
- Encourage students to learn and practice self- control and social skills
- Help students with self-regulation and tactile issues and other sensory processing issues