Behavioral Support Services
Behavioral support services work to establish the behavioral supports necessary for all students in a school to achieve social, emotional, and academic success. This work is accomplished through staff training and implementing effective interventions for those students with comprehensive behavioral and/or emotional needs.
Areas of Staff Training
- The consistent use of research-based behavioral interventions among all staff at the school, classroom, and individual levels.
- The effective use of data collection for decision making regarding behavioral strategies.
- Maximizing proactive strategies to affect behavior change while at the same time minimizing the use of reactive disciplinary measures across all students.
- Appropriately utilizing the Functional Behavior Assessment in determining the Behavior Intervention Plan for an individual with significant and chronic behavioral concerns.
- School-wide behavioral supports and strategies in the common areas of school buildings.
- Supporting the capacity of the regular education setting to successfully educate all students and to prevent social/behavioral failings.
- Crisis Prevention Institute training focused on preventing crisis and providing a safe and secure teaching environment for all students and staff.
MTSS and PBIS
Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) is a systemic, continuous-improvement framework in which data-based problem solving and decision-making is practiced across all levels of the educational system for supporting students. The framework of MTSS utilizes high-quality evidence-based instruction, intervention, and assessment practices to ensure that every student receives the appropriate level of support to be successful. A Multi-Tiered System of Supports helps schools and districts to organize resources through alignment of academic standards and behavioral expectations in order to enable every child to successfully reach their fullest potential.
Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) is a multi-tiered framework for establishing systems of social-emotional and behavioral support that enhance schools’ capacity to maximize outcomes for all students. The tiered system allows for the provision of a continuum of school-wide, targeted and individual interventions supports related to the social-emotional, behavioral and academic needs of all.
PBIS at Kankakee School District 111
The implementation of PBIS has been instrumental in successfully significantly reducing the amount of out of school suspensions while improving the culture and climate of the schools at KSD 111. It has demonstrated to have made a positive impact on behavioral, social-emotional and academic outcomes of students.